HB 2376 - TRANSPARENCY FOR INDEPENDENT EXPENDITURES - This bill will change campaign reporting requirements by:
- Requiring more "persons" to report their campaign spending
- Improving the reporting by noncandidate committees (PACs and SuperPACs)
- Adding late expenditure reports to shine light on money spent just before an election
- Improving the disclosures at the end of campaign advertisements
Please support Media Council Hawaii with a testimony to help PASS this bill. The unlimited corporate spending in campaigns, from independent expenditures and Super PACs is a big issue in this year's elections. In a post last week, we highlighted how SuperPAC funding will affect broadcast media.
Also on the Agenda:
- HB 2700 - Improvements for Publicly Funded Elections - replace the equalizing funds for A pilot program for publicly-funded "clean elections" was successfully launched in Hawaii County Council in 2010.
- HB 2174 is a less comprehensive bill than HB 2376 but concerns similar issues as well.
- HB 2457 - Gifts to legislators & state employees - This bill allows legislators and state employees to accept charitable event tickets from 501c3 nonprofits, creating new loopholes to our gifts and ethics laws.